Wednesday, June 8, 2011

All Growed Up

Not quite. But I'm seeing lots of graduation photos being posted on Facebook, and comments of "I can't believe he's already graduating!" or "It was only yesterday she was in kindergarten!" and it makes me think that one day, I'll be saying the same thing. Already, my little one is three months and then some. That little tiny baby who only slept and ate and pooped is gone, replaced with a smiling, laughing, grabbing little munchkin who no longer wants to be held like a baby, but wants to stand upright on her chubby little legs. She's interested in everything around her, and her curiosity knows no bounds. The other day, I put a headband on her that didn't fit a couple of months ago, and when we went to show daddy, she smiled at him then hid her face in my shoulder like she was shy. Cutest. Thing. Ever.

But I digress.

I think of this very moment when it seems like 18 is so far away, and wonder where the time went and how she grew up so fast before my very eyes. I wonder about the person she'll be, but by then, I will know her in a different way than I know her now. Today, I can tell when she's tired; I know that her rubbing her eyes and now getting fussy means it's time for sleep. I know her hungry cry. I know that when she wakes for the day, she will coo and smile at me when I walk in to greet her. But I don't yet know the person she will be. However, I know the kind of person I hope her to be. I hope she grows to be stronger than her mama, able to stand up for herself the way her daddy does. I hope she knows that she can be her own person and have confidence in her decisions without worrying about what others will think. I hope she is kind, and is able to laugh at herself. I hope she figures out what she wants to be and goes for it. I hope she learns from her mistakes, and is not afraid to take chances. I hope she is not afraid to trust others but knows when to be cautious. I hope she finds what she is passionate about and doesn't let it go. And I hope she loves with all her heart.

And lastly, I hope that tonight she goes to sleep because she refused to nap today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment